Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bangkok 7s Rugby tournament



Well I was in Bangkok for the weekend, not something most people can say but yes I flew there for 4 days. It was a great time had. I was Refereeing the 7s tournament there. It was a very fast tournament and I learned a great deal from the weekend away. We got into Bangkok on the Thursday night and went for a bite to eat at a great restaurant, great food, great price and met 2 other guys that were also reffing at the tournament. Afterward we went to have a beer and get to know one another at a local watering hole. Outside of the bar, Elephants are walking by trying to get people to pay for food for the elephant and get their picture taken as well. it was sad really, I bet these Elephants had not seen the Jungle in many years. There was lots of local culture willing to sell their trade and it was fairly constant asking if we were looking to have a drink with any of them. It is amazing that the economy relies so heavily on tourists and yet tries to ripe them off at every turn they can. The bar tried to add a few more drinks then we ordered onto the bill and we were hassled for money and even the cab driver tried to increase the fair by 1000% that is the one thing that is frustrating about the city.




On the positive note, there is so much history and interesting people to see and take pictures of. some of the buildings are so old and the culture is really great to be a part of. I could see myself living in a city like this, for a little while anyway!




The Rugby was great, it was however a very long day. We reffed quite a few games each day and the intensity of the games certainly did not diminish with the heat or the rain at night. No one was seriously hurt and the team that deserved to win did so over all I would say it was one of the best rugby experiences that I have had to date!




I will be looking forward to going back next year if I can make it. if not from Dubai then maybe from the next place I will be living. I have started looking for a new job now, not sure if will be staying here in Dubai a few more years or not, it is good to keep your options open I guess.




well that is about it for now.




enjoy the snow!




Curtis

No comments: